“Do I stay out with the goats to contain and protect them?”
When we get a site ready for the goats, the first thing we do is set up the fence. This ensures the goats stay in the desired area and are protected from wildlife or stray dogs that may be in the area.
What is the fence?
- The fence we use is an electronet fence. It is a white and black netting that comes in rolls with posts already attached. This flexible modular fence allows us to set up our fence to accommodate each sites specific needs and terrain.
- The fence is powered by a fence energizer, that is powered by a battery. This way we don’t need to be close to a power source or out in the open for a solar panel to work. The battery is switched with a freshly charged battery as needed to keep the fence energized for optimum performance.
How does it work?
- For the goats the fence is a psychological barrier. Once the goats are trained to the fence they avoid it. This prevents the goats from challenging the fence to get greens on the other side.
- For the predators who may be checking the fence and thinking a goat looks like a good snack, they find out that the fence is quite a shocker and look for an easier meal elsewhere.
- The shock is uncomfortable, but won’t harm people or pets who get to close to it, but I wouldn’t recommend testing the shock, believe me, I have accidentally tested it on a few occasions.