Posted on

I wasn’t even going to get him, then he was gone

Spread the love

One fine blustery morning Eli and I fired up the old truck, and hit the road to go pick up a new little Kiko doeling that I stumbled upon for sale. She was young, but a looker. She had a twin with her, but the last thing I needed was another buck around here let alone a young one.

As we got there the snow and wind had picked up quite a bit, and a black Cadillac was waiting at the end of the drive for us. I thought good lord what did I get us into as we pulled in. The driver got out suited in black as one would expect. The suit was one of carhartts though. Yet again not what I expected.

I first laid eyes on the buck in the back I knew that I had to have him. His sire was a massive three legged brute with twisted horns 3+ feet wide. His four year old half brother was well on the way to his father’s majesty and docile to boot.

We were able to get a hold of them and load them in the back of the truck easily. We were slightly concerned when he started head butting the window between the truck and topper when Eli took a peak at him. Thankfully we were able to get home with no issues.

At home I backed up the the pen, and it was all I could do to get him our of the truck, let alone through the gate. I did it though and closed the gate. He took off behind a brush pile and was gone…over the 4′ fence like it wasn’t even there. I caught a glimpse of him like a white tail in the fall woods and then he just disappeared…well crap.

In a hurry, Nicole and I both got on the ATVs and went two different directions not knowing what way he would go once he his the plowed field behind the grove. Luckily I spotted him running across the field coming back toward us, headed for our trees. The last thing I wanted though was for him to get through them and into the neighbors grove. I flew after him trying to cut him off before he could hit the trees. He was faster than me and hit the woods. Now the only thing was to try and beat him to the road side and hope I made it first. Flying between the drainage ditch and the tree edge he darted out in front of me and into the drainage ditch… Remember this morning it had been snowing when we picked him up.

I bailed off the ATV before it had even stopped with enough wits to drop my phone on the bank since the water was over 3′ deep and he was already headed under the culvert. Luckily as I hit the water I could easily grab him. Goats are not known for their love of water sports and the current was strong enough he was swimming in place. Wrestling him to the edge of the water and and fighting him up the bank I was able to wait for help as Nicole and the Boys brought a rope to bring him home. He did not go willingly yet, but we got him secured in a stall where he was able to calm down.